Monday, May 14, 2012

What it Means to Us

In honor of Mothers Day we share what being a mamma means to us . . .

I am not going to lie sometimes I think of the role of a mother as a terrifying and intimidating job. It is hard to ignore that enormous amount of responsibility that comes with the title of mommy. For goodness sakes we are training little humans for life! What if I fail?! So the time I don't spend being scared I like to take advantage of the impact and influence I have in Roo's life because that's what being a mamma means to me. It's also obvious being a mamma means I get to give out as many kisses and I love yous as I can, tell her she is gorgeous everyday, and hand out a little more love on top of that :) As for my plan for raising ruth this is it ....



Being a mama to Jo, Rae and Gat is such a honor. I am proud to be a mom and honestly I think it is what I am best at. Giving endless love with some discipline in there. Being a mom means that I get to raise three crazy kids to love life and themselves. I hope I can instill in them, the courage to be themselves. And love who they are as a person, not care what is happening around them. Along that to have strong faith. I take that role seriously, I need to be the one to teach them who God is. What heaven is and to pray always. Being a mom is so much more than taking care of their physical needs. It is making sure emotionally and spiritually they are ready to take on the world. All in all being a mama to me means to care.
Yesterday was our last Sunday at South Loop Church. We had a guest speaker, he spoke on the well known passage in 1st Corinthians chapter 13, versus 4-7. 
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 
 I've heard this passage many many times, but yesterday hearing for the first time as a mother, it really sank in how deep, unconditional, unfailing and tireless our love should be. What being a mom means to me is practicing and modeling this kind of love for Stella. In my relationship with her, her daddy, her extended family, friends and even strangers. I want to be patient with her as she grows up, never ceasing to support her and hoping for the best things in her life. Someday, I want her to read that passage or hear it and think of me and my actions. Much like I thought my mom and dad when it finally hit me in the heart yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, we love feedback!