Wednesday, August 3, 2011

canning peppers

So basically O&O and I have a pepper garden. He loves hot banana peppers on everything. So we have about 15 plants and I get the pleasure of canning them all. So I did my first batch and got 6 pints. Which I thought was actually a lot but he seems to think that we need a lot more than that. (I am planning on doing more, men just don't understand how things take time) I just keep telling him more peppers will come. Of course as usual, well most of the time, I was right and got another basket full that I have to can tonight!

You have the pleasure, if you read on, to see what my process is. And if anyone wants to know further just ask!

Ingredients Used:



Canning Salt




First I took and cut all the peppers up, I wore rubber gloves. Take all seeds out and cut them how you like to eat them, we do rings.

Then put them in a ice cold water bath, for up to 4 hours. I didn't wait for 4 hours because I didn't have the time that night, mine soaked probably 30-45 minutes.
Next Step: making your brine. I do 2 cups of water to 1 cup of vinegar and add 2 tablespoons of canning salt. Let that come to a boil.

While you are waiting for that to boil make sure your jars are ready to go. I washed, rinsed and let them soak in warm water while I am getting the brine around. When everything is ready get your lids in warm water and ring ready!

Slice up your onion and drop a couple of slices down into the bottom of your jar along with 5 peppercorns. Then pack in your peppers up to an inch below the top.

ALMOST done! Now pour your hot brine into the jar so it is just covering the peppers.

Clean the rim off with a dry towel, place lid on and top with the ring!

Time for a hot water bath. I took a big pot that would fit all 6 jars in it. I added enough water to reach the top of jars. (I feel like everybody has a different idea of how much water should be in the pot, but this works for me) I wait for the water to come to a boil, then set my timer for 10 minutes. When the timer goes off I turn the burner off and then let them cool in the pot. I ended up taking mine out the next morning.

And this is what the final product looks like, beautiful!

I am really sorry for the lack of pictures, but that takes more time than actually writing the post!If you have an easier way to upload photos I want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, we love feedback!