Monday, January 20, 2014

The New Future

Hello everybody. . . insert nice little intro here. I can't think of a way to ease into it so here it goes.

Gat, our baby, has been diagnosed with Diplegic Cerebral Palsy(CP). It happened like the week before Thanksgiving. . . I think. Now I can't remember, that's annoying. Anyway he has it. It still doesn't seem right coming out of my mouth, or fingers in this case, and I am not completely sure how long it will take for it to feel ok. Because to be honest guys I am not okay with it. It just kinda sucks. We have been going down this road of therapies and stuff thinking there was an end in sight. Turns out we were wrong. Therapies for life (throw up rockout sign here please).

"Cerebral means having to do with the brain. Palsy means weakness or problems with using the muscles. Cerebral palsy is a group of disorders that affect a person’s ability to move and keep their balance and posture as a result of an injury to parts of the brain, or as a result of a problem with development. Often the problem happens before birth or soon after being born. Cerebral palsy causes different types of disabilities in each child. A child may simply be a little clumsy or awkward, or unable to walk at all." (info from here)
It is also known as Spastic Diplegia. "In this type of CP, muscle stiffness is mainly in the legs, with the arms less affected or not affected at all. People with spastic diplegia might have difficulty walking because tight hip and leg muscles cause their legs to pull together, turn inward, and cross at the knees." (info from here)

As you know Gatlyn can walk with a walker and is getting really good at it too! This is no lie he can part a room like the Red Sea. It is amazing what the little guy can do. I mean look at this Snap I got the other day...


A couple things I want you to know:

1. It is not a death sentence. Lucky for us we will get to see those bedroom eyes forever! Even his mean side...I get scratches and smacks from him too.

2. I am not sure how to not totally get offended by people. Like when people say "Kids like that...". I know each and every one of them mean well. For real I do... but when people say "Kids like that..." it makes me have to come to terms he is now "lumped"  with any kid with a disability. And when I don't really think of Gat in that way, of course I don't want others to either.

3. Gatlyn is smart. If it wasn't for his physical impairment you would not know he has CP let alone a preemie.

I will probs being writing on this topic a lot. So peace out for tonight. Here is a nice image to leave you with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, we love feedback!