Thursday, January 23, 2014

Three Bean Chili



I've been loving soups this winter. They're warm, hearty and easy to make with a baby in the high chair and a toddler under foot. Since I limit my grocery budget to $50 per week, I usually try to fix one or two meatless meals a week. This Three Bean Chili is is just as filling as any meat dish.

What You'll Need
olive oil
1 yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
15 ounces diced tomatoes (I actually used stewed tomatoes that Alexis and I canned earlier this year)
1 cup water
1 cup tomato juice (again, I used tomato juice we canned earlier this year)

1 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt

What You'll Do
Heat olive oil in pan until hot then add onion and garlic, saute until soft and translucent. While onion and garlic are cooking, rinse and drain your beans.

Add beans, diced tomatoes, water and tomato juice to your onion and garlic. Stir in your spices. Then cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes.

I served it with a little bit of cheese on top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, we love feedback!