Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bible Verse (1/24)

Mallorie checked in with you all yesterday on how she is doing with her 2013 goals, so I thought, why not check in with you today. As you know, one of my goals is to memorize 24 Bible verses. I'm planning on sharing all of them, so feel free to memorize them along with me!

When blogging about each verse I'm going to use the same format. It's a technique that I learned from my friend Sarah, who lead the small group I attended in Chicago. It's called the S.O.A.P technique. It stands for scripture (what Bible verse(s) are you referencing), observation (what's something that sticks out to you/what it the lesson that can be learned), application (how can you apply it your life) and prayer (a short prayer you can say and repeat when you need reminder).

Scripture: "Better a meal of vegetables where there is love, than a fattened calf with hatred" Proverbs 15:17

Observation: I think this verse doesn't only refer to food, but also to our material goods, money, and status. Having an abundance of anything is worthless, if we do not have the time and energy to show love to our family, friends and community.

Application: When Tim and I get down on ourselves for not being where we want to be financially, or because our TV isn't big enough, or because we don't have brand new cars, or the clothes we dream of, we need to recall this verse. And remember that it better to have few possessions and whole lotta of love, than it is to work our lives away to have all those things, but never get to enjoy them together.

Prayer: Lord, help me to remember that the things of this world are fleeting and to be thankful for all that I do have. Help me to know the most important thing is that I take the time to show your love to my husband and daughter. Because without love, none of it would mean anything.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jame, I'm not sure if you are looking for little side gigs but I saw this come through my Google Reader and I thought of you.

    http://theeverygirl.com/graphic-design-assistant-for-classically-chic-letterpress/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, we love feedback!