Friday, March 16, 2012

Cloth Diapers

I had a request to do a post on cloth diapers so here goes nothing....

Before the princess even arrived I was facing the fact I didn't/wasn't going to have a lot of money. So I began to look into areas where I could save a little money. Diapers was one of the bigger areas so I started to look into a little more. My mom had used some with us growing up so she helped me look into more too. It turns out that cloth diapers have came a LONG way since I was a kid. It used to be cloth and pins, now you can get them in all sorts of styles and designs. I was also aware that a woman at our church had also used cloth diapers with both of her girls so my mom got the DL on what's hot and what's not. This woman was so helpful gave us figures and had broken it down into how many diapers we would use on average daily and how much money we would be saving. I didn't save the figures but I do remember they were impressive.

Anyways so Christmas that year I got a big box as one of my gifts. I open it to find 20 cloth diapers! So helpful and one of the best presents I got. Thanks mom!!

So that's my story, now on to my diapers and my day to day use.

I have FuzziBunz diapers which can be located here. However I have heard of a hot new trend SunBaby diapers which are a similar style to the FuzziBunz, but cheaper!! I really like my FuzziBunz. I have used them for almost 9 months now and they are still white and they are really easy to use.

Day to day use is pretty easy. I keep a big bucket/trash can looking thing (with a lid!) in the bathroom. As I change her throughout the day I place the diapers she went number 1 in directly into the bucket. Number two however I just have to 'swish' it around in the toilet and it all falls off. Yes all shapes and forms ;). Then I just ring it out and throw it in the bucket. Wash my hands and carry on my day. After 1-2 days, the bucket gets dumped in the washer and the diapers are clean and ready for another day! However, when we go somewhere or when I leave Ruthie with someone else I put her in disposables because I don't expect other people to do all of that. (future bsitters don't worry!)

I have noticed a few benefits of cloth diapers

1. I have not bought a single diaper yet.
2. Your trash can doesn't smell
3. NO DIAPER RASHES!!

I do have one Q for those fellow cloth diaper enthusiasts. What do you do for wipes? I can't flush the down the toilet, so I have to throw them in the trash and I really don't like the fact of random wipes with poop on them floating on top of the trash.

2 comments:

  1. I use baby wash cloths. I put 10-15 wash cloths in an old wipes container with a wipes mixture (water, a drop of baby wash, a couple drops of tea tree oil (keeps them from getting musty) and you're good to go for the day! That way, you can just toss them in with your diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used cloth diapers but a friend did and she also used wash clothes in a wipe container! Any container would prolly be okay. Just toss them in and put whatever liquid you are using with it. Good for you Alexis!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, we love feedback!