Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Summertime Hash

Last night for dinner I concocted my own recipe! This is huge in my world! I'm pretty sure there was a time in my life when my mother wondered how I would ever feed myself, let alone a husband and daughter. I used to follow a recipe to the T. I wouldn't alter it in anyway, from ingredients to cook time. Lately, I've been getting a little more creative in the kitchen, I substitute ingredients or add additional ones. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but so far everything has been edible, so that's good. 

Last night though, I just started cooking. No recipe, I just knew that, I wanted to use up the left over sweet potato fries I had made for lunch.


























I started by browning the ground beef (seasoned with salt and pepper), and then adding the onion. Once the onion cooked down, I pulled that from the heat and put it in a bowl to add back in later. In the same pan I cooked the meat in, I sauteed some zucchini (fresh from my friend Amy's garden!) until it started to soften, then I added serrano pepper and some garlic. I let that cook together for a few minutes and then threw in the sweet potato fries. I felt like it need something to sort of pull it together, so I added a can of diced tomatoes (minus some of the extra juices). I cooked it for a couple more minutes to heat the tomatoes through, and then added the meat and onions back in, and mixed everything together. 

I named it Summertime Hash because it's colorful and well it's Summer. We ate it as our main course, as is, but it would be great wrapped up in a tortilla or with eggs. I didn't measure anything, but I'll give you my best guesses.

Summertime Hash Ingredients List
1lb ground beef
1 small onion
1 serrano pepper (remove the seeds if you don't like the heat)
1 clove garlic
1 to 2 cups chopped zucchini
2 sweet potatoes
1 can petite diced tomatoes


1 comment:

  1. When I first moved out of my parents the only things I could make were cereal, chips and cheese and boxed noodles. Jerad taught me how to cook. Once I got the basics of cooking down I started cooking (mostly) on how the dish looked - I've found that if the dish I'm cooking looks presentable it usually tastes pretty delicious! Now I almost never follow a recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, we love feedback!