Monday, April 29, 2013

Pinterest Paints

Back in January, I started babysitting my cousin's daughter a few days a week. Her and Love Bean play really well together, and I don't really have to facilitate their play all that much. Mostly, I just continually clean up after them, feed them, read Pout Pout Fish, 8 Silly Monkeys and Hop on Pop at least 10 times a day, and get after them when they try to put in a DVD by themselves.

However, in an effort to be more like the mom I imagine myself being, I do try to do some planned activities with them. A few things we've done are story time at the local library, went to the local bakery for donuts, baked cookies and we've painted. I found recipes for homemade finger paint and puff paint on Pinterest. Both girls had a lot fun with it.

Here's where I got the finger paint recipe. It was really gooey, I think if I make it again I'd try to thin it out by adding more water. But I'll probably end up buying finger paints. I think store bought paints will be easier for the girls to smear around on paper, and they will store longer.


I didn't really think the puff paint would work, but it did! I cut out the girls' first initials, gave them paint brushes and one color at a time, and they went at it. I got the recipe for that here, but I didn't have self rising flour, so I used this recipe as a substitute. It made a whole lot more than we needed that day, so I put the left over flour mixture in an air tight container with directions on how to mix up a single batch of paint. We've used it a couple of times since then, I've found a nice pastey texture puffs up the best.

1 comment:

  1. If you do puffy paint again try mixing shaving cream with a little bit of elders glue and a little paint. It makes a really cool texture even after it dries.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, we love feedback!