Friday, January 13, 2012

A Full Plate

I guess you could call me sort of a mix between Jamie and Mallorie. Im not a working mom like J or a stay at home mom like Mal, I'm a working/stay at home/school mom...now thats a mouthful. I really can't complain though because my schedule kind of rocks with having all of that on my plate. I work part time which involves Monday-Thursday (5:30-9:30), so I get to stay home with Ruth for most of the day plus  long weekends. However also during that time I have to get my schooling in. I take online classes through Davenport University which has been a God send. I am doubling up on classes so hopefully (cross your fingers) I will be graduated by winter of next year.

Anyways, I have been wanting to do a post on this topic because as I scroll through my news feed on a daily basis I see a lot of woman, mostly young woman in my same shoes. Although I hate to see it and admit it and be somewhat part of that statistic, teen/young pregnancy seems to be occurring more and more. I am sure we (meaning all young moms) can all say the same thing. "It sucks my life is different now, it sucks I can't do the same things my friends do, it sucks that I can change diapers in my sleep (okay maybe thats just impressive!),  it sucks I have to be in bed by 9 so I can wake up in the morning, BUT I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING IN THE WORLD." I've said it once and I'll say it again, it is crazy how much a baby changes your life. The moment they are placed into your arms all immaturity and selfishness gets swept away, and at that moment that tiny thing becomes your life goal.

It is tough, somedays worse then others, to juggle all of what I do. I even have the prince to help out, so I can't even imagine doing it alone!! But the thing that keeps me grounded are my goals. I have set goals for myself, for Ruthie, as well as the goals Joshua and I have set for our family. 1. Graduate from College (both Joshua and I) 2. Get promoted to full-time 3. A full-time job for Joshua 4. A house by summer of 2013 5. Create a safe loving home that Ruth will want to always be at. These are my major goals and are what keep my chuggin' along and telling myself I am almost there don't give up. So I guess that is my advice to all of you struggling along with me. As corny as it sounds take a minute and set your goals. (I write them down because I love to check things off of lists :))

For the young moms: GO TO SCHOOL NOW. The best advice I was ever given was to not quit school and do it now while the princess is little (she won't remember it). Someday they'll look up to you for it :) I highly recommend Davenport, their classes and schedules work so well with work and baby schedules. The online is a major plus because I can stay home with Ruth and do it during her nap, rather then paying for a baby-sitter. Your not alone and I see you all working so hard to be the best for your babies.

For the young girls reading this who aren't moms: A BABY CHANGES YOUR LIFE. Think, before you make your life 10 times harder then it has to be. Think, before you just do anything with anyone because not every girl will get as lucky as I did. Because loser guys make loser dads.


4 comments:

  1. 1) I love what you gals are doing with this blog.

    2) I completely agree with you Alexis. Speaking as someone who has been in your shoes, all I can say is KEEP TRUCKING. You sounds like you already know that, but there could come a time when you think this is too much...or when you think your time might be better spent working to be able to have more money to support your family... but don't stop.

    Clint and I were in a very similar situation. Baby + (not online, unfortunately) college + jobs. We used to just sit and dream about what it would be like when weekends were just weekends again, when homework + infant didn't = zero sleep, zero hang time, zero dollars.

    There were times when my car would break down AGAIN and I'd think about how much easier it would be to just get a job and stop the madness. But looking into my/our future I knew what I was doing was the right thing for us in the long run...

    Now, on the other side looking back I have NO IDEA how we actually managed to do it all. But we did it! And we couldn't be more proud of ourselves. We both graduated (from UofM -- GO BLUE!) and got full-time salaried positions, and this past Spring, we bought a house!

    It is beyond worth it. I really admire you and your prince. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm addicted to this blog. I wish Ashley would do something like this with me. Alexis, thank you so much for saying what you did. Someone had to. And it was very eloquently put. Bravo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am proud of you for all you do. You are an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Alexis, keep it up you are an inspiration to others :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, we love feedback!