Thursday, January 12, 2012

Show & Tell: Recipes

Right now I'm on a black beans and rice kick. This quick little concoction is cheap, easy and pretty much my go to lately. 
  • White rice (I use Minute Rice because I don't have a fancy rice cooker like Alexis) when cooking the rice replace half of the water with salsa
  • After rice is cooked stir in 1 can of black beans rinsed and drained and some frozen corn
  • Cover and and put on low heat, stirring frequently
That's it, told you it was easy! Our favorite ways to eat it are in a tortilla shell (either by itself or with chicken), scooped up with tortilla chips, or just a big bowl of it by itself with a little bit of shredded monterey jack cheese on top.


I am going to share a recipe that is used over and over at our house. For breakfast mainly but also can be used for lunch and dinner. It is homemade pancakes!


First mix all dry ingredients then add wet.

  • 1 Cup Flour
  • 1 T Baking Powder
  • 1/2 t. Baking Soda
  • 1/2 t. salt 
  • 3 T Sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 T Vegetable Oil
  • 1 C Milk
We add food coloring to make them fun! And also you have to add sprinkles, right? Unless you are a sweet freak like me...mini chocolate chips are a must! Oh yah, the mini pancakes are better for a finger meal-Jo dips in syrup and for Rae I spread a little syrup over the top. Just enough for the flavor and less of a mess! Let me know what you do for your kids that make them excited about eating!
 


I debated which recipe I would choose over and over. I LOVE to cook so I have SO many favorites! I was torn between something quick, something easy, something cheap, dessert, appetizer, or side?? I decided to go with something different. By something different I mean something most of you haven't had and something I learned through the prince's family. For those who don't know the prince is filipino so I always enjoy going to his place to get different types of food, sooooo yummy! Anyways I am going to share with you the first filipino dish I learned to make, and I would have to say it is quite tasty! Do not be afraid to try it!!!

Chicken Adobo (also can be pork adobo w/pork spare ribs)

Ingredients Needed: Chicken (with bone, I use either drumsticks or wings/4-5lbs), 1/2 vinegar (I have used both apple cider and white), 1/2 cup soy sauce, 3 cloves garlic, about a tsp black peppercorn, 3 bay leaves. 

Very simple combine all the ingredients in a deep pan. Your supposed to let it marinade for an hour or two but I never do because it is usually last minute I decide to make it. Anyways after you combine or marinate it bring it to a simmer and cover it. Let it simmer for about 30 min. After that uncover it and cook (stirring occasionally) until the sauce is reduced and thickens, and chicken is cooked through. And there ya have it. Serve it on a bed of white rice. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, we love feedback!